Once Products have been ordered from your Suppliers through the creation of a Purchase Order, these items can be received into your inventory through a common Receiving procedure.
The Products received can be either non-inventoried items or inventoried items. When you receive non-inventoried items, there is no General Ledger transaction associated with the Shipment Receipt. For non-inventoried items, whose costs are either capitalized or expensed within the period, their related General Ledger posting occurs when you enter the Bill for the received Products.
When you receive inventoried items, on the other hand, their costs (excluding shipping or other procurement costs) are posted to the General Ledger immediately (dr: Inventory, cr: Supplier A/P account). When the related Bill is entered for the Shipment Receipt, these costs are adjusted to reflect the actual billed amounts plus any related miscellaneous charges.
To receive products (either inventoried or non-inventoried) do as follows:
- If you are not already on the User Screen, click on the 'User Screen' hyperlink on the top navigation bar.
- Go to Logistics / Receiving / New Receipt.
- Select a Supplier from the drop-down list.
- The outstanding items will populate.
- To receive all outstanding items, click on the Receive All Outstanding Items button. Alternatively, you can receive items individually by clicking the Receive button to the right of each item.
- You can Reject items by including a non-zero value in the Reject field. You will need to select a Rejection Reason, too.
- See the Returning Rejected Items to send the rejected items back to your supplier.
- Select a Receipt Date.
- Click on the Post Receipt button. This will save the Shipment Receipt record and post it to the General Leger as appropriate.
Receiving other items is exactly the same as receiving inventory. So, you do not have to worry about special procedures to be followed for, say, receiving non-inventoried items or capitalized items. Once you have placed such items on a Purchase Order (see sections below), you receive them in the usual way.